[Chtechcomm] Unsubscribe

Terri Buckner tbuckner at ibiblio.org
Wed Jun 22 09:22:42 EDT 2005

Dear Group,

I have a booklet written by David Lawrence and published by the
Institute of Government in 2002 on Open Meetings in North Carolina. In
the author's opinion, conference calls and electronic meetings are legal
as long as they are available to the public. If conference calls are
legal, then email should be also as long as this list is available to
anyone who wants to subscribe. Let's not be too hasty in unsubscribing
or banning use of this list until we have done a little more research.
We also need to get the manager's definition of 'substantive.' (Thank
you Aris for that request.)

The impact of discontinuing use of email for all future group
communications is to limit access, an outcome that is counter to the
intent of the open meetings law.  Experience in the e-democracy world is
that more people participate electronically than they do in face to face
meetings. I hope we can take this opportunity to educate staff and
council on how the use of electronic communications will expand citizen
access to governmental communications rather further restricting it.

Gregg, Your intelor address has been unsubscribed. You are still
subscribed under your other domain. If you want that unsubscribed also,
which will remove you as an administrator of this list, please let me know.

Terri