[Chtechcomm] Council Motion Tonight

Terri Buckner tbuckner at ibiblio.org
Thu Jun 16 11:36:40 EDT 2005

IT Members,

The school system already makes internet appliances (free) and low cost
ISP access available to all students. They have devoted a great deal of
effort into ensuring that all students have equal access--that was their
basis for implementing a Citrix network. They would need to agree to
install Citrix (and maintain) on any 'free' computers in order for
students to use them for schoolwork. Then there's the wireless card
issue. We need to make sure Doug Noell is going to be present before we
schedule this as an agenda item.

There are also significant barriers involved in re-distributing
state-owned computers. The town (and the university) cannot give
computers purchased with tax dollars to any individual or non-government
entity. I've been trying to figure out how to transfer 5 of the Town's
surplus computers to a teen center in Carrboro and am not having much
luck. The town can only give them to another town approved agency, such
as Empowerment or the Friends of Parks and Rec, who can then distribute
them. I've contacted a couple of other agencies before I learned about
these two and they agreed to be the conduit, but required that their own
groups had first choice ahead of the teen center. I suggest we invite
Delores Bailey in for this discussion also.

As for the wireless network, the Downtown Economic Development
Corporation is in the final stages of hiring a new executive director.
Setting up a downtown wireless network will be one of the earliest
priorities for that individual. According to their preliminary plans,
part of Northside would be included in the downtown range. That
individual and Andrea Rohrbacher should also be included in the discussion.

It's kind of a drag when something so simple turns into such a pain,
isn't it? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I'm not sure whether its
so complicated to give computers away because its such a new idea or
whether it will continue to be problematic every year.

Terri