[Chtechcomm] UNC Listserv Archive

Terri Buckner tbuckner at ibiblio.org
Tue Aug 30 22:23:53 EDT 2005

To the group:

Earlier today, Steve's first attempt to send the message below failed.
Along with the correct address for posting to this list, I sent the
following note:

"FWIW, the technician (who is not part of this argument in any way and
shall remain nameless), informed Joel and I yesterday that he was
mistaken about the archives. It appears the deletion occurs through a
two-step process; first the archives and then the full list. He has
reinstated the list, I have verified membership and he is now working to
recover the archives. No one there has done this before so we don't know
how successful the effort will be, if at all."

I find it very curious that none of this concern for the UNC list
archives was raised when the decision to move the list to ibiblio was
announced back in June. Had the question be raised then, I would have
asked two questions. Should the archives be recovered, I think they
still deserve discussion:

1. How long should we expect UNC to host these historical documents?
2. If our list communications are such valuable references, shouldn't
the committee be urging the town IT staff to install its own email list
application?

Terri