[Chtechcomm] Archive of UNC Listserve

Terri Buckner tbuckner at ibiblio.org
Fri Aug 26 10:32:21 EDT 2005

According to the UNC technician assigned to the data recovery question,
"The ch-tech-advisory list is set to keep archives for only one day.
Since messages older than one day would automatically be purged each
night, there are no messages past that one day archive we'd have."

This report is consistent with my own investigation of the UNC list
archiving capabilities prior to making the decision, in full
collaboration with Gregg, back in June. Before deciding to move the
list, Gregg asked that we make sure a full archive would be available on
ibiblio before finalizing the decision to move. If Steve found a full
archive of the UNC list, I applaud his technical skills and feel sure
the UNC staff would be interested in knowing where their archiving
process is faulty.

I agree with Gregg's earlier message (copied below for the record) that
advisory board email communications should be addressed in the Town's
public records policy. Only staff are covered by the Town's current
policy. There is no Town policy on the email communications of elected
and appointed officials.

Until the Town decides to install its own email list application, I'd
suggest that committee members truly concerned about open meetings and
the public records aspect of the committees communications should be
subscribed to the list and use it so that all communications are fully
recorded for public inspection. As it stands now, there is much more
private communication than in the past.

To subscribe to this list, please go to:

A full archive of communications through the ibiblio list (established
June 2005) can be reviewed at:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/chtechcomm/

Terri