[Chtechcomm] WiFi info

Terri Buckner tbuckner at ibiblio.org
Tue Aug 23 16:57:07 EDT 2005

Allan,

I'll leave the technological aspects of municipal WiFi to Will. As to
the 'background decision to implement wifi/, it doesn't exist. Here's my
take on the background. Others may see it differently.

We have been charged with working with DEDC and others to investigate
the feasibility of pursuing WiFi (as a result of petitions found at:
http://townhall.townofchapelhill.org/agendas/ca050627/, item #3a).

The initial public call for a downtown wifi initiative came from members
of DEDC back in late winter/early spring. As far as I can tell, that
public call was prompted more by keeping up with Carrboro than any
concrete expectations for how such an initiative could be structured or
would benefit Chapel Hill.

Terri