[Cc-uk] FS vs CC?

Rob Myers robmyers at mac.com
Tue Jun 28 04:30:07 EDT 2005

On 27 Jun 2005, at 23:45, J. Grant wrote:

>> IMHO the missing link here is open standards. I don't care if
>> I'm using non-Free software, so long as the core data structures
>> are based on open standards that let me switch to alternate
>> software whenever I care to....
>>

> Agreed.

I dissent. :-) If the non-free software isn't available for my
platform, or if I'm supporting software that could embrace & extend,
corrupt, or drop support for the format, I don't think it's a good idea.

> Let us hope that CC will finally switch from Macromedia Flash to
> W3C's SVG / XHTML / CSS / JavaScript.

They'll need the tools. Free Software will have to support Free
Culture here.

> I was looking at maps.google.co.uk earlier, it looks great, but I
> think most of the functionality is server side.

Google Maps is an "AJAX" application. The interesting functionality
is client-side Javascript. This shows how a Keynote-style applciation
could be written in DHTML.

- Rob.