[Cc-uk] FS vs CC?

David Hirst dhirst at pavilion.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 14:42:15 EDT 2005

The openness of the debate, and the willingness of people who consider
themselves part of the "movement" to engage in "internal" yet public and
published debate seems to be an important part of the freedoms the
movement(s) is/are aiming to achieve.

What seems to be important to emphasise is the extent of the agreement
across the movement(s). There are clearly things we all share, and the
debate is often about clarifying what these shared views are.

"Big Media" tends not to see it this way. All the newspapers and channels
tend to seek the disagreements and arguments, and emphasise these. In part
this is because it is more interesting, and does give a platform for the
full breadth of ideas to be expressed.

Rather too often though Big Media seeks to sow and create discord and to
damage consensus among its opponents. Argument for its own sake becomes the
objective. This tends to give undue air time to the extremist and
contrarians of the debate, however marginalised they may be, and so give the
impression of discord and disorganisation. This also benefits the "status
quo" of corporate dominance, who can then appear to be the "reasonable
middle ground". It is fear of the debate turning sterile in this way that
seems to drive the desire to get the message clear and simple, and suppress
anything that is not "on message".

Yet to keep too closely "on message" is framing the debate in their terms,
not ours.

Many organisations resolve this by spending time concentrating on a "Mission
Statement", which says clearly and succinctly what they do and stand for.
Actually, mostly the mission statement is about what the organisation does
NOT do, and its power lies in requiring people to justify the relationship
between what they are saying or doing, and the mission. A sound organisation
will never ask its people to do things that are not compatible with its
mission, or perhaps, will never fire somebody who refuses to do something
not contributing to the Mission.

In this case, it might be worthwhile to see if we can find single sentences
that show the commonality of the movement(s), but also the different areas
of interest.

I look forward to the suggestions.

David