[Cc-uk] FS vs CC?

David M. Berry d.berry at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Jun 22 13:36:30 EDT 2005

Tom, A really well written email and one with which I concur.

thinking that dissent is a 'bad thing' or that its 'unity is
strength' are political sloganeering from the 20th century.  I
believe that free culture offers us a more radical moment when we
consider that our discussions, ideas and plans are all public. Just
think about that for a moment. We are a truly transparent (dis)
organisation that is genuinely open to others. That's not to say we
don't sometimes disagree, or that the disagreements can be internal
as well as external. Regardless, the discussions are open. That is
very different from bureaucratic organisations that fight to prevent
any leakage from their public facade, we on the contrary reveal in
the publicness of open, honest and free debate.

This means that there is no party line, decisions are reasoned out
and subject to contestation and it is (thankfully) difficult to get
authoritarian 'leaders' who seek to lead us down to the promised
land. Not only that but this is mirrored in a message that is not
only politically, socially and economically important and convincing,
but also allows others to see how we got here. No membership cards,
no gatekeepers and most of all no fiction of a univocal
representational framework for our actions and practices.  To me this
is in addition to the message of free culture, and weirdly confirms
it all.

Secondly, I think you are right that the multinationals are
sharpening their knives. But staying safe and quiet won't spare
Creative Commons from attack. Sticking to the old organisational
frameworks (like centralised, hierarchical bureaucracy) will be to
play by their rules. Instead, it is important to stick to the ethical
and political principle that makes the whole thing worthwhile and
justified. And the political can only function where there is
contestation and the clash of ideas and thoughts. We each subject our
ideas to each other to both test and improve them. This results in an
intersubjective improvement in all our skills, knowledges and most
importantly makes our case more watertight.

I also support Creative Commons, and will continue to do so providing
it does not lose its focus and beliefs. Everyone makes mistakes and
this includes organisations that are trying to be innovative and
creative in their approach. But that has to be tempered by critique
and feedback. Once we submit to the King (as Foucault would have
called it) or the party line, regardless of whatever it might be,
contrary to our own beliefs and feelings, I fear the life and
animation that drives the free culture movement will be lost.

Creative Commons aims to supply the licenses, that is fair enough,
but they do not (unlike the open-source initiative) attempt to take
over the discourse. Or at least not yet. And you don't have to look
far to see that the CC is supported by many people who have a number
of different radical, libertarian, social, communitarian or
progressive ideas.... but all seem to agree that the untrammelled
ownership of culture is a bad thing.

- David