[Cc-uk] CC going mad?

David M. Berry d.berry at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Jun 22 09:37:26 EDT 2005

On 22 Jun 2005, at 14:12, Cory Doctorow wrote:

> No, I'm saying that getting into the silly business of "How dare
> those people" (who are our allies, who work with us, whose goals we
> support 100 percent and vice-versa) "call themselves 'Free Culture
> Movement'" is sniping. There is zero substance to such a complaint.
> There's nothing wrong with the name "Free Culture Movement" for an
> org.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. The website is http://
www.freeculture.org/ and *they* are 1 year old. The 'movement' is
much older, and according to John Markoff (in What the Dormouse said)
can be traced right back to the late 1950s in computer culture. Not
excepting the work of people like economists like  Paul Davies and
others who show the importance of free culture in the scientific and
research communities dating way back.  Oh yeah, and the critical
legal tradition, Boyle, Lessig, Fisher et al

> Wrt to CC: I'm saying that not enjoying someone else's gag isn't
> the same thing as having a substantive disagreement.

I agree with the statement vis a vis the 'ends'. But I may have a
substantive disagreement with the 'means'.

> Wrt "over there." My postcode is in NW5. Where "over there" do you
> think I am?

I didn't mean you personally. ;-)

I meant in terms of the page appearing on the CC US site rather than
appearing on a UK CC site.