[Cc-uk] CC going mad?

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Wed Jun 22 06:03:35 EDT 2005

I'm with Rob on this. It was a gag to highlight the craziness of the
copyright system that keeps Happy Birthday in copyright. And if
FreeCulture's cardinal sin is calling themselves "Free Culture
Movement" when there are and have been people involved in Free
Culture prior to their founding, is that so bad? Is it really
necessary to arrange this firing squad in a circle?

Cory

On Jun 22, 2005, at 11:46 AM, Rob Myers wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 22, 2005, at 10:20AM, David M. Berry
> <d.berry at sussex.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>> This feels like a really bad office joke.
>>

> I think that's probably the best comparison.
>

>> It feels cliquey,
>>

> That would be a complaint I have. But if they'd sent the clip in
> private it would have got out and people would've complained about
> CC being secretive or whatever.
>

>> sounds
>> like it was recorded on someones office desktop computer in Microsoft
>> Office OneNote 2003 and mixed in the lunch-break.
>>

> The right to create doesn't carry a responsibility to create a
> great work of art. So some lawyers wanted to make a techno track of
> "Happy Birthday", had fun doing so, and it came out sounding about
> as you'd expect? Good for them. :-)
>

>> Somewhere, someone
>> in CC should have looked at it and said no way.
>>

> I find the idea amusing (I've no interest in actually listening to
> the track). And it is a good illustration of the problems of
> 'permission culture'.
>
> Cliqueiness and low quality may work against it, but lots of blogs
> have picked up the ridiculous-copyright-law issue. On balance, I
> think this is constructive.
>
> - Rob.

Cory Doctorow
doctorow at craphound.com

latest novel: craphound.com/someone

blog: boingboing.net
vanity: craphound.com
second novel: craphound.com/est
collection: craphound.com/place
novel: craphound.com/down
work: www.eff.org

Join my mailing list and find out about upcoming books, stories,
articles and appearances: