[Cc-uk] CC going mad?

Rob Myers robmyers at mac.com
Wed Jun 22 05:46:02 EDT 2005

On Wednesday, June 22, 2005, at 10:20AM, David M. Berry <d.berry at sussex.ac.uk> wrote:

>This feels like a really bad office joke.

I think that's probably the best comparison.

>It feels cliquey,

That would be a complaint I have. But if they'd sent the clip in private it would have got out and people would've complained about CC being secretive or whatever.

>sounds
>like it was recorded on someones office desktop computer in Microsoft
>Office OneNote 2003 and mixed in the lunch-break.

The right to create doesn't carry a responsibility to create a great work of art. So some lawyers wanted to make a techno track of "Happy Birthday", had fun doing so, and it came out sounding about as you'd expect? Good for them. :-)

>Somewhere, someone
>in CC should have looked at it and said no way.

I find the idea amusing (I've no interest in actually listening to the track). And it is a good illustration of the problems of 'permission culture'.

Cliqueiness and low quality may work against it, but lots of blogs have picked up the ridiculous-copyright-law issue. On balance, I think this is constructive.

- Rob.