[Cc-uk] RE: Cc-uk Digest, Vol 17, Issue 6

David Hirst dhirst at pavilion.co.uk
Tue Jun 21 17:38:54 EDT 2005

David,

Thanks for your comments, which I wholly support. To add a bit more.

There are many who are disturbed by overuse of the word create and it
derivatives. Stallman (RWS) suggests avoiding the use of creator: "The term
"creator" as applied to authors implicitly compares them to a deity ("the
creator"). The term is used by publishers to elevate the authors' moral
stature above that of ordinary people, to justify increased copyright power
that publishers can exercise in the name of the authors." And many think of
creation as having happened only once ever. Imagining then quite what the
"creative industries" might be up to creates some frightful confusions.

So let us stick to authors, songwriters, singers, "imageers", actors or
whatever. For each of these the rules are different, (and somewhat arbitrary
and mixed up) and the monopolies associated with each need to be examined
separately.

One of the extraordinary things about "consuming" digital culture is that it
is absolutely not consuming. The material cost of listening, or watching or
copying is precisely nothing. Nothing is consumed, so it is not consumption.
So how can it be "property"? To call it that is propaganda, to teach it to
our kids is enslavement. It leads us down the path where even humming a tune
to yourself is "piracy", and this just cannot be ethical.

David Hirst

  _____