[Cc-uk] Proposed 'CC in the UK' website

Adrian Midgley dr.midgley at homefieldsurgery.nhs.uk
Tue Jun 21 08:18:39 EDT 2005

Rob Myers wrote:

>> the CC licence, while paying lip service to its "inspiration". This
>> adds the
>> substantial overhead of understanding what the differences are,  why,
>> and
>> whether they are tolerable.
>
> They seem also to have felt it necessary to create their own
> derivative of
>
> This is the "everyone must have their own license" antipattern that
> is causing so much trouble in the Open Source Software world at the
> moment. The BBC could also be seen as being guilty of this.

The reaction is already visible.
Some of these orgs will be correct, I don't recall seeing a variant of
the CC licence that requires providing a file copy for information to
the previous author of a work that is modified (I may just have missed
it of course).
If they do identify a clear lack, then a new variant should arise as a
result.