[Cc-uk] CC applied to design documentation?

Roy Mohan Shearer 0100105S at student.gla.ac.uk
Fri Apr 29 19:38:44 EDT 2005

Dear all,

I am a student of Product Design Engineering at the Glasgow School of Art. I have been interested in the CC license for a while and how its philosophy might be applied to my area of work.

Can the CC license be applied to design documentation, ie that which describes or specifies the production of a physical object? Does it only apply to digital data? Could it be applied to printed material?

Can anyone see problems with this in principal? the intellectual property of product design can be protected in a few different ways already: Patents, design copyrights etc. however there is no provision that I know of for sharing that intellectual property while retaining such features as attribution, sharing alike and non-commercial use (hence my interst in the CC license).

best regards,

Roy Shearer - royshearer at email.com

Undergraduate Product Design Engineer (Year 5)
Glasgow School of Art/University of Glasgow

(@home)
0/2, 7 Rupert St., Glasgow, G4 9AP, UK
tel +44 (0)141 5755717
http://turn.to/thesound
http://www.de-bass.com
(@work)
Department of Product Design Engineering,
Glasgow School of Art, 167 Renfrew St.,
Glasgow, G3 6RQ, UK
tel +44 (0)141 3534614
http://www.gsa.ac.uk/gsa.cfm?pid-138