[Cc-uk] Academics are not free either...

David M.Berry d.berry at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Apr 28 13:26:52 EDT 2005

Of course, and that is very good. But the default case is that the
University owns the IP. Most academics assume that they can go off
publishing papers, books, lecture notes and so on, often not realising
that all these outputs are *technically* owned by the University. I
would be interested in knowing how the US Universities handle this
problem, as they are further down the IP route than us, but I have been
talking to my University's IP spin-off company (yes! we have one) and
they don't really know what they are planning to do and want maximum
ownership in the first place so they can graciously grant permission,
rather than the other way round... Not very conducive to a scholarly
pursuit of knowledge... more committed to maximum revenue for the
University...