[Cc-uk] Academics are not free either...

David M.Berry d.berry at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Apr 28 13:02:45 EDT 2005

Actually this is completely untrue. Academics *technically* do not own
the copyright to their own work as they are designated as employee's of
the University, as I am sure you are all well aware, therefore the
employer owns their intellectual property. The whole situation of
academics copyright is little discussed or resolved in the UK and I
expect this to be a flashpoint should the Universities decide to
capitalise on IP beyond patents. My University, for instance, is very
clear that it owns the IPR but has chosen not to enforce it on
copyright... yet...

Therefore again *technically* releasing under a CC license without the
permission of the employer (i.e. the owner of your academic work, the
University) is illegal.

The University's are all now shifting their IPR policy and no doubt
this will mean many academic freedoms will be curtailed or certainly
challenged by these changes...

See http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/ccf.html

An interesting question is whether this CC license work that has been
undertaken by academics within their work-time might have the
unfortunate consequence of actually being owned by their respective
University.

That would be very ironic.. ;-)

Maybe this a place for CC-UK to start a campaign? As I am sure that
most academics do not realise that this is actually the case...

- David