[Cc-uk] Re: Changing your mind and the young Bowie

Dr Tim Brookes T.Brookes at surrey.ac.uk
Mon Apr 25 15:55:08 EDT 2005

On 25 Apr 2005, at 17:00, cc-uk-request at lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
> One of the thorny 'yes buts...' I am hearing a lot in regard to CC is
> "what happens if young creators license their early work under CC and
> then rue the day forever more?"

For musical works, as far as I can see, the major problem here is the
UK collection agencies. If you have ever licensed any of your works
under CC then you can never join PRS, since they require exclusive
rights to all your works - past and future - and you can not grant
exclusive rights on a work you've already CC-licensed.  If you're not
in PRS when you're writing hit after hit, you'll find it almost
impossible to get any performance royalties from your multitudinous
radio broadcasts, TV broadcasts, film showings, public performances,
iTunes downloads, etc...  You can make money from selling CDs, and from
granting permission for use of your tracks in films, adverts, etc, but
you won't get performance royalties.

It's PRS that need to change - not CC - but until they do I think you'd
have to be very sure that you never want any performance royalties
before you CC-license anything.  This is a tremendous shame and I very
much hope PRS (and MCPS and PPL) can be persuaded to grant membership
in exchange for exclusive (or even non-exclusive) rights on commercial
use only. Then a non-com CC licence would not preclude later royalty
income.

Tim.