[Cc-uk] Changing your mind and the young Bowie

David M.Berry d.berry at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Apr 25 05:45:28 EDT 2005

I personally think that more thought needs to go into the concept of
dual licensing. I would have thought that as a copyright holder I am
perfectly at liberty to release versions under different licenses (for
instance I may release under a CC-BY-SA but also license a non-CC
version to a film company to, perhaps, excuse them from the viral
effects and to be paid or whatever).

My understanding is that as the copyright is not transferred or given
up I perfectly well have the right to release as many different forms
as I wish, for example CC_BY-SA for MP3s and copyright for CDs etc.
After all, lets remember that this work is not just thrown into the
public domain or anything. The CC is a clever bit of trickery to
simulate a commons, but it is *not* really a commons in a true sense as
it relies on private ownership.

Additionally the artist may choose to rerecord and license a  slightly
different track or remix under a stronger license.

This may be considered confusing to the consumer (hence the value of
some form of embedded CC license in the track to explain might be in
order) but I would have thought this perfectly legal and sensible to
allow maximum flexibility to the artist and to combat this decidedly
Creators' Rights Alliance type arguments against CC releases.

Cheers

David

http://www.locarecords.com