[Cc-uk] Changing your mind and the young Bowie

Ian Brown I.Brown at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Apr 25 05:18:41 EDT 2005

Damian.Rafferty at Culture.gsi.gov.uk wrote:
> One of the thorny 'yes buts...' I am hearing a lot in regard to CC is "what
> happens if young creators license their early work under CC and then rue the
> day forever more?"
>
> What response can you give to this?

(1) creators can include the CC non-commercial restriction, so that if
their early work becomes popular they can still make money from its sale
later :) Even without this restriction, artists will also be able to
make money from their CC works through new performances (live and recorded).

(2) the young creators are more likely to become successful older
creators if their early work gets a lot of exposure through CC
licensing, with all of the benefits (including monetary) this brings.