[Cc-uk] the censorship machine

Christian Ahlert christian.ahlert at oii.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 20 14:02:41 EDT 2005

For all of you who wonder why we actually need to worry about Digital
Restriction Management (DRM) here is more to worry about. The US is
passing a new copyright law.

See David Pogues post in NYTimes:
http://www.nytimes.com/technology/poguesposts/index.html

Buying a Censorship Box?
By DAVID POGUE

  Remember my review of the ClearPlay DVD player, which automatically
snips out bad language, violence and references to God?

It was challenged by a horde of furious filmmakers and Hollywood
studios—in court. Looks like they lost; the House of Representatives
approved the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act of 2005, which
makes it legal for companies like ClearPlay to do what they're doing.

As Engadget further notes, however: "The bill also makes it a federal
crime to use a video camera to record films in movie theaters...and
sets a penalty of up to ten years in prison for sharing a movie or a
song prior to its commercial release. We’ve got no beef with the
ClearPlay-enabling part of the legislation (for the most part), since
people should be able to do what they want with a DVD they’ve bought
and paid for, but that was really just a smokescreen to railroad the
rest of the bill, which may as well have been written by the MPAA and
RIAA's lobbyists. The bill now heads to President Bush, who is expected
to sign it into law."