[Cc-uk] Revised draft Scottish licence

David Illsley david at illsley.org
Tue Apr 19 08:14:26 EDT 2005

Glad to see progress...
Its been good to see the Creative Archive launched, and I'm glad the
compatibility has been removed.

On re-reading this I'm still unclear about the interactions between
2.1.i and 2.3 - If I'm distributing a derivative work under a future
version of the licence or another CC licence with the same elements, am
I still supposed to keep a link which misrepresents the licensing
situation? (EW Is wordier and limits this requirement to 'any Work and
Collective Work you publish...')

Hmm, 2.3 seems to be my pet clause... If the same clause were used for
a simple BY-SA licence, the way I read the clause would allow me to
distribute a derivative work under BY-SA-NC (As it would have the
licence elements required plus one extra). The EW licences seem to say
'same' which removes any ambiguity (if in fact it exists).

The 2 above points may theoretically be resolved by 6.6 but I think
with regard to the first one in particular it is important that the
licence is clear to people not wishing to delve further than one set of
legal code

I'm not a major fan of 6.2 'cos it might allow an employee who
downloads a CC file that a company has licensed separately e.g. for
commercial use to 'replace' a commercial licence. I can see why
something like it is required, and I know issues like this exist within
the software industry and the solution is just to tell employees not to
download software from external sites but that is not conducive to
building a commons. I don't know how real this problem is, and even
worse I don't have any suggestions to make it better.

David