[Cc-uk] Lessig in Scotland (part of the UK!)

David Illsley david at illsley.org
Mon Apr 4 06:08:06 EDT 2005

I'd have to agree it was an excellent presentation, and it is a happy
thing that CC-Scotland was launched.

I also understand the Moral Rights issue wrt CC properly for the first
time (IANAL). Having reviewed the CC-Scotland draft (from
creativecommons.org), I'm really happy how readable it is, and my one
query is about clause 2.3.
It appears to allow licensing of derivative works under the same
conditions but using one of the other 'ported' licenses which seems to
make sense to allow people in other countries to release their works
under an appropriate licence... is this the intention?
It also allows licensing of derivative works under the BBC CA license,
and while I don't have a copy of the drafts that have been mailed the
list to hand, from memory it is more restrictive and not under the
control of CC. This therefore seems to be a strange property of a
share-alike licence, which effectively allows the BBC more rights over
a CC SA licensed work than any other person/body on the planet
(especially if the portability I've mentioned above exists in all the
CC licences). This BBC thing doesn't seem to be in the CC-EW drafts
mentioned recently at http://users.ox.ac.uk/~inet0009/creative_commons/

Other than that, I'm excited by the progress being made and the
existence of CC-Scotland,
David Illsley