[Cc-south-caucasus] Armenia_New CC Licenses_5+1

Catharina Maracke catharina at creativecommons.org
Wed May 20 02:30:58 EDT 2009

Dear Movses.

Many thanks for sending the revised versions. Please see my additional
comments below. Would you like to let me know your thoughts and then
implement and get back to me? In particular the Moral Rights section
should be discussed briefly.

Best wishes,

Catharina

> BY:
>
> * License Grant: Waiver for sui generis database right is listed in
> a separate numeration whereas in some other licenses (e.g. BY-NC),
> this section is part of the last sentence of section 3. Please make
> sure that this is consistent with all six licenses.
> OK
>

> *Section 4d): Moral Rights language is not what we agreed on?
> Right, I just followed the wording of unported licenses that I
> thought is preferable (changed)
I am very sorry to have missed that part - we should have discussed
the Moral Rights at a much earlier stage during the process. The
background is that CC has been criticized a lot in the past in terms
of the current wording for the "unported" license (please see http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/7718)
   and we are still discussing a new wording and draft for the
unported licenses. Meanwhile, we have used a simple sentence as
starting point for the discussion to find the best solution for each
jurisdiction: "Moral Rights remain unaffected to the extent they are
recognized and not waivable by applicable law".  Do you think this
would fit under Armenian law? It would make things a lot easier and
consistent with other jurisdiction licenses.

> BY-NC:
>
> *In Preamble refers to the term "Work" whereas the BY and BY-NC-SA
> licenses refer to the "Rights of the Licensor with respect to his /
> work.... "?
> Thanks, I overlooked that
>
> *License Grant: Last sentence should be amended to reflect NC
> structure? See last sentence of section 3) in US NY-NC:
>
> All rights not expressly granted by Licensor are hereby reserved,
> including but not limited to the rights set forth in Sections 4(d)
> and 4(e).
>
> This part I amended as in unported License but 4(e) according to US
> license is dealing with WebCasting Rights and Statutory Royalties I
> omitted.
>
> *Section 4c) reference should be 3a) instead of 3b) ("...consistent
> with section 3b,...")
> Section 4 (c)  - is setting attribution mechanisms, subpoint iv. is
> about attribution in case of Adaptation that is why I specified 3
> (b)-Attribution instead of 3 (a)-Collections. I think there is no
> need to make reference to Collections in this case?
My apologies - you are right... I must have been confused with so many
different references...

> *See above: Moral Rights language is not what we agreed on?
> OK
>
> BY-NC-ND:
>
> *see above: Preamble refers to the term "work" again?
>  OK
>
> *see above: License Grant: Last sentence should be amended to
> reflect NC structure? See last sentence of section 3) in US NY-NC-ND.
> This part I amended as in unported License but 4(e) according to US
> license is dealing with WebCasting Rights and Statutory Royalties I
> omitted.
>
> *see above: Moral Rights language is not what we agreed on?
> OK
>

> BY-ND:
>
> *see above: Preamble refers to the term "work" again?
> OK
>
> *see above: License Grant: Waiver for sui generis database right is
> listed in a separate numeration whereas in some other licenses (e.g.
> BY-NC), this section is part of the last sentence of section 3.
> Please make sure that this is consistent with all six licenses.
> OK
>
> *Restrictions: section 4c): Clarification for sui generis database
> right refers to section 4a) but not to section 4b)?
> OK
>
> *see above: Moral Rights language is not what we agreed on?
> OK
>
> BY-SA:
>
> *Section 1b): definition of "Creative Commons Compatible license"
> needs to include a reference a reference to the "unported" license
> as well, see language in the US BY-SA:
>
> "Creative Commons Compatible License" means a license that is listed
> at http://creativecommons.org/compatiblelicenses that has been
> approved by Creative Commons as being essentially equivalent to this
> License, including, at a minimum, because that license: (i) contains
> terms that have the same purpose, meaning and effect as the License
> Elements of this License; and, (ii) explicitly permits the
> relicensing of derivatives of works made available under that
> license under this License or either a Creative Commons unported
> license or a Creative Commons jurisdiction license with the same
> License Elements as this License.
> OK
>
> *Restrictions: section 4c): Clarification for sui generis database
> right refers to section 4a) and 4b) but not to section 4c)?
> Maybe this is a misprint but no reference to 4 (c) is made.
Yes, I am sorry for the misunderstanding - that's what I meant. There
is reference to section 4c) but the Clarification for th sui generis
database right should refer to all other restrictions: 4a), 4b) and 4c)