[cc-sampling] attribution

Sam Stephens sam at postmoderncore.com
Mon May 9 20:12:04 EDT 2005

It's great to see that there's CC licenses to allow sampling, and no
surprise to see Negativland behind it.

I notice that all the licenses require attribution though - however I
think it'd be nice to have a license that allows people to sample
without attribution. Certainly I have pieces where if I attributed every
sample I used, it'd take longer than actually having put the piece
together. Also there I some I've done that I simply couldn't attribute
now because I don't know where the samples came from. So I'm thinking
it's probably hypocritical to license this stuff requiring Attribution.
(In fact, possibly some of it I can't legally license, but nevermind).

I found it somewhat hypocritical when I saw the Beastie Boys had put
their track on the Wired CD ( http://creativecommons.org/wired/ ) under
the Noncommercial Sampling Plus license. Didn't they make their money
and name commercially sampling stuff without attribution?

--
postmoderncore website (w/ mp3s & art)
  http://postmoderncore.com/