[cc-sampling] (no subject)

mark/ negativland markhosler at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 11 13:51:09 EST 2004

At 9:28 AM -0500 3/3/04, L. O. E. wrote:
>hello,

  I'd have to hear the original stuff and your
reworking of it to have any ideas about this. But
since its not sampling of anything, the sampling
lisence doesn't seem to apply.

According to the "rules" , if you do a cover
version of something, you dont have to ask, and
you pay a mechanical royalty on each copy
sold....if you go   and alter it, you have to get
permission.

But if you are releasing this stuff yourself, and
feel that what you are doing is ethically okay
and that the folk artists you take from dont
deserve any money ( are you at least crediting
your sources?) then  realistically you dont need
to worry about it.

Mark