[cc-sampling] video inquiry

MARK / negativland markhosler at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 22 10:40:54 EDT 2004

At 9:22 AM -0400 4/22/04, jason daniels wrote:
>Thanks Mark and Don.
>
>I am interested in CC because I think that it is
>a vehicle to promote the work itself and also my
>intentions as an artist.
>
>I was also hoping that a CC license could shelter me from any repercussions.

It can't. That's the part if the sampling license
that doesn't work. Negativland can have a CC
sampling license attached to our work, meaning
you are free to  transformatively re-use *our*
work...but the folks that *we* transformatively
re-used in our work gave us no such permission.
So you are not protected. What can happen when
you sample a sampler? When you sample a sample
that isn't cleared?

Personally we don't find sampling a sampler to be
a very interesting creative avenue to pursue, so
we never do it.

>  If I read correctly, the answer to that is
>negative, but weighed in against
>limited exposure and intent, it sounds like
>a worthwhile risk.

Me, I'd say you have ZERO risk. Who will know or
care about what you do? Realistically, no one. I
am continually shocked at the chilling effect
these laws and supposed threats have on artists
who have literally nothing to worry about. Those
silly  industry lawyers who *might* have noticed
you are now far too busy worrying about thier
entire business model collapsing and suing their
customers. They don't care about someone selling
a few thousand CDs or making a free download of
their work. I personally think its safer than its
been in over a decade to do this sort of work,
but some may disagree with me.

Mark

>So, I think I will proceed with a license, even
>though it will not provide legal shelter for
>me.  I still have to determine which license
>(attribution -noncommercial).  The sampling
>license seems to encourage commerical use and
>with all the damn logos that fly through this
>piece sporadically I just freak out every once
>in awhile trying to figure out what to do.  My
>goal still is to post it for download and let a
>few people enjoy it if they want to.
>
>Jason
>

><http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2746??PS=>From
>must-see cities to the best beaches, plan a
>getaway with the Spring Travel Guide!

AHOY THERE! I have changed my e-mail address and it is now -

mark / negativland <markhosler at bellsouth.net>

My old address at markhosler at charter.net is no longer being used.