[cc-sampling] Movie Samples In Songs

Ginrai ginrai at masterforce.org
Thu Apr 22 00:36:13 EDT 2004

Hi there. New here. I'm a musician and I've been experimenting with samples
in my songs. Not musical samples, mind you, but snippets of dialogue from
movies. I've heard that a lot bands that use samples like that just use
them and hope no one calls them on it (and sometimes they're called on it,
like when Skinny Puppy got into trouble by using a sample from Timothy
Leery). It seems that it would hardly be worth the effort and red tape and
money to try to get permission for a clip that lasts a second and isn't at
all musical. I've looked through Skinny Puppy liner notes and they never
mention where the samples come from. I've recognized a lot of them,
Hitchcock movies, Scanners, A Clockwork Orange, 2001. Some of them are
popular and some aren't. From a copyright perspective, I imagine it would
be defendable in a lot of cases under fair use. You could say it's your
song commenting on the crass commercial society that creaked the insincere
movie and such.

I guess my question is, should I just use movie samples and to hell with
it? Is it maybe safer to use samples from really obscure lame movies that
no one has seen? Any comments are welcome.

-Ginrai