[cc-sampling] a question about music specifically

Glenn Otis Brown glenn at creativecommons.org
Fri May 30 16:25:37 EDT 2003

Here's one for you musicians and music lawyers on the list . . .

There typically two sets of rights in a given song: the rights to the
musicial composition and the rights to the sound recording.  In order to
offer a song under the Creative Commons sampling license, as written,
would a musician need to own both set these sets of rights? What's the
relationship between the composition rights and the recording rights when
it comes to sampling?


I record a cover version of  "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones, and I
try to offer my recording under the CC sampling license, so that the
world will be free to use my version of the song's great intro riff. Is
this possible without the Stones' (or their publishers') permission?  If
not, does language to this effect need to be built into the license?


Glenn Otis Brown
Executive Director
Creative Commons
glenn at creativecommons.org
+1.650.723.7572 (telephone)
+1.415.336.1433 (mobile)

More information about the cc-sampling mailing list