[cc-sampling] BACKGROUND: "IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THE ORIGINAL WORK AS A WHOLE"

Glenn Brown glenn at creativecommons.org
Fri May 23 07:02:54 EDT 2003

Here's some background on why we included this phrase:

" . . . if you choose to use the original Work as a whole, you must
either use the Work as an insubstantial portion of your Derivative Work
or transform it into something substantially different from the original
Work . . . "

-----------------------

Why include this language?

Negativland wanted to be sure not to exclude re-uses that take more than
a "portion" of the original work but are nevertheless creative:

"We don't want this license to allow entire works to be used as-is. For
that, permission and possibly fees would be needed.

But . . . they [licensees] could take an entire work as long as it was
transformed in some way. Listen to John Oslwald's THE GREAT PRETENDER for
a great example of this. He used an entire Dolly Parton track, but his
use of it starts out so fast it is a high pitched whine, and over the
course of the entire track, it slowly slows down until it becomes leaden
mud."

--Glenn

Glenn Otis Brown
Executive Director