[Cc-nz] Time to retire ND and NC

Allison Brown allison.brown at otago.ac.nz
Thu Sep 20 04:44:52 EDT 2012

Kia ora koutou,

> Am I correct that nobody so far has defended ND by offering a specific case of its benefits? Could the benefits of offering a suite of license options be retained if we retire ND, and keep some form of NC?

The reasons I think ND is of benefit to me...

I have personally used ND on a few occasions.  This was because I don’t want someone else to remix certain poems without discussing it with me first and it is generally because of the subject matter.  Mostly I'm not too worried but it's nice to know on occasion I have that choice - NC and ND are both about choice.

Moral rights...
There are so many cases of others ignoring the moral rights of especially artworks, photos and cultural work once things are put online.  This provides a framework without having to feel you need to explain why remixing may not be appropriate on occasion.  Yes I know some of you may wonder why bother sharing if you won't allow remixing.  I assure you there are plenty of artworks worth sharing even if the artist does not want you to remix without discussing it with them first.

Plus do you want a family photo used by someone else (or a company) in a way that makes you uncomfortable - NC and ND addresses that.

Ngā mihi
Allison

-----
Allison Brown • Digital Services Coordinator •
University of Otago Central Library | Te Whare Pukapuka Matua o Te Whare Wānanga o Otāgo • Ōtepoti, Aotearoa • Waea 64 3 479 3961 • Īmera allison.brown at otago.ac.nz • Paetukutuka http://library.otago.ac.nz • Twitter @Initiatives_lib