[Cc-nz] Time to retire ND and NC

Jonathan Hunt cc_aotearoa at huntdesign.co.nz
Mon Sep 17 16:36:31 EDT 2012

On 14/09/2012, at 8:16 PM, Danyl Strype wrote:
>>> Removing them would be counter-productive. <<
>
> Opponents of CC have always argued that removing any of the rights
> associated with ARR copyright is counter-productive. Again, can you
> offer examples?

I think removing ND and NC is counter-productive, from the point-of-view that one of the main attractions of CC is the spread of options it offers.

If NC/ND are not available, it positions CC as just another "free" license rather than offering the spread of options it currently does.

I think the benefits of encouraging people to label content according to CC, even if their licenses are restricted, is being underestimated.

It also gets content creators into a system where they can begin to examine what rights they want to make available beyond ARR and gives them infrastructure and common ways of expressing this.

I think removing NC and ND will remove a significant "on ramp" towards freer licensing.

Regards
Jonathan

Jonathan Hunt
http://huntdesign.co.nz
+64 21 529 250
PO Box 1062, Christchurch 8140, New Zealand