rel="license"

Andy Powell a.powell at ukoln.ac.uk
Mon Feb 7 17:25:11 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, snowchyld wrote:

> Technorati wish to have all the tagged data as href's that 'users can click on'

Whether users can "see" <link rel=... links is browser specific isn't it?
Some browsers offer functionality based on these tags (e.g. Lynx and Opera
I think??), others don't.

It's perhaps worth noting that Firefox now acts on embedded <link rel=...
links to RSS feeds, e.g.

<link href="http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/rss/ukoln.xml" rel="alternate"
type="application/rss+xml" title="UKOLN News" />

I think a convincing case could be made to the Firefox development team
(or at least some Firefox plugin developers) to display CC and other
licenses in appropriate ways based on the kind of syntax I suggest below -
e.g. a small clickable CC icon could be displayed at the bottom-right of
the Firefox window?

Andy.

> Will also do wonders with their 'google juice' ^_^;
>
> I tried suggesting the 'use link / meta data' as an alternate but the
> argument was 'abuse of tags' and that uses would not be able to 'see'
> the links
>

> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:23:45 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Andy Powell
> <a.powell at ukoln.ac.uk> wrote:
> > On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Kevin Marks wrote:
> >
> > > Tantek just put together a formal spec for this:
> > >
> > > http://developers.technorati.com/wiki/RelLicense
> > >
> > > comments and improvements welcome.
> >
> > An alternative approach would be to embed
> >
> > <link rel="DCTERMS.license"
> >        href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/" />
> >
> > in the <head> section of the page, which re-uses an existing DCMI metadata
> > term
> >
> > http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#license
> >
> > and is in line with
> >
> > http://dublincore.org/documents/dcq-html/
> >
> > Andy
> > --
> > Distributed Systems, UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
> > http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/a.powell
> > tel: +44 1225 383933 msn: ukolnlisap at hotmail.com
> > Resource Discovery Network http://www.rdn.ac.uk/

Andy
--
Distributed Systems, UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/a.powell/      +44 1225 383933