embedding metadata in MIDI?

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Thu Jul 3 12:03:59 EDT 2003

Kevin Shrieve wrote:
> I'd like to enthusiastically endorse that perspective.  MIDI has great
> un-tapped potential as a platform for collaborative culture building,
> and for making music from one culture available for
> re-use/re-purposing/re-creation by people from other cultures.  It is
> uniquely useful for sharing "unfinished" background arrangements that
> can be customized (key, tempo, instrumentation, order and length of
> sections) for use by live musicians and singers.  And because of the
> tiny file sizes very inexpensive computers can work with them.

You say it much better than I.

> I guess the copyright field is unformatted text -- would you use it in
> such a way that it could be machine-readable, say by a search engine?

The copyright field is unformatted text, but we'll recommend a specific
format from which license and license claim urls can be extracted.
Excerpted from <http://creativecommons.org:8000/learn/technology/mp3>:

   TCOP (Copyright Text) should include a human-readable license and
   license claim information. The contents of this frame are displayed
   by many programs in a "file info" window. Example value: 1995 Example
   Band. Licensed to the public under
   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/ verify at
   http://example.com/cclicenses.html

   If "verify at " exists in TCOP, everything after it must be the
   license claim URL, and if there is a license claim URL then it must
   be preceded by "verify at ".

For MIDI the instructions would be the same, just replace "TCOP" with
"copyright event".

--
   Mike Linksvayer