embedding metadata in MIDI?

Kevin Shrieve kevin at lumiere.net
Wed Jul 2 20:18:23 EDT 2003

Mike Linksvayer wrote:
>I guess that MIDI will be around forever, and it's kind of
>interesting from a reuse perspective as, if I understand correctly,
>it should be far easier for an average user to create derivative
>MIDI works than it is for an average user to do anything meaningful
>with raw audio.  So I think it's worthwhile do recommend embedding
>license info in MIDI files.

I'd like to enthusiastically endorse that perspective.  MIDI has
great un-tapped potential as a platform for collaborative culture
building, and for making music from one culture available for
re-use/re-purposing/re-creation by people from other cultures.  It is
uniquely useful for sharing "unfinished" background arrangements that
can be customized (key, tempo, instrumentation, order and length of
sections) for use by live musicians and singers.  And because of the
tiny file sizes very inexpensive computers can work with them.

Some other characteristics of MIDI file sharing might lead one to
cheer for its demise, such as the likelihood of the playback sounding
very different than what the composer intended,  the bad electric
guitar sounds in the MIDI sound generators, and the fact that MIDI
file generation programs (such as Band-In-A-Box) are so willing and
able to tirelessly crank out heartless renditions of pop tunes.
(Don't get me wrong, I think BIAB is an amazing tool when used with
care.)

I, for one, am investing a lot of thought and energy into defining
how I might use "open source" MIDI files to help build the foundation
for systems of popular creative collaboration, and I anticipate
defining ways to use the defined metadata fields to embed info that
would only be of interest within these systems (e.g., the dominant
musical mode, dominant ethnicity of the style, etc.).

And of course clarifying the licensing terms would be very important
for something like that.

I do vote for using the already-defined copyright field, even if one
has to repeat the info in a track field so that people are more
likely to see it.

I guess the copyright field is unformatted text -- would you use it
in such a way that it could be machine-readable, say by a search
engine?

Thanks,

Kevin Shrieve

http://www.mp3.com/DreamArtScience