[cc-licenses] input requested: BY-SA/GPL compatibility - license scope

Sarah Pearson sarah at creativecommons.org
Wed Feb 25 21:20:35 EST 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Joshua Gay <jgay at fsf.org> wrote:

> Similarly, the FSF would like to know your thoughts on what we can do to
> help. Would adding a short comment about it on our list of Various
> Licenses and Comments about Them
> <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html> be sufficient? Is there
> any other place that it might be helpful for the FSF to publish a
> statement on this matter?

This sounds like a great idea. Similarly, CC would likely post something on
its compatible licenses page <http://creativecommons.org/compatiblelicenses>,
and possibly elsewhere.

This has been an excellent discussion so far. Thanks to everyone who is
contributing. The only other thing I wanted to respond to directly was
something Andrew raised, which was the point about how the license stewards
could enforce their guidance about when not to take advantage of one-way
compatibility with the GPL. You're right that we can't do anything binding
or enforceable, but it is similar to the way CC has vocally asked people
not to use CC licenses for software. Though not everyone follows it, this
type of guidance does seem to have an impact on people's behavior.