[cc-licenses] input requested: BY-SA/GPL compatibility - license scope

Arne Babenhauserheide arne_bab at web.de
Tue Feb 24 17:58:48 EST 2015

Am Dienstag, 24. Februar 2015, 12:00:10 schrieb Rob Myers:
> If I receive a patent-encumbered BY-SA licensed work from a third party
> and then incorporate it into a GPL-licensed work, the problem remains.
> Presumably patents would have to be declared in the license block for
> any work covered by them to allow this to be avoided. This would require
> a modification to BY-SA, which is out of scope for this discussion, I
> believe.

You also get that problem, when I (from Germany) send a GPL’ed program
to the USA where there’s a software patent on something I do
(scrollbars or such).

I think Andrew put it best: There’s no strategic gain to be won for
Patent trolls (no incentive to exploit this), so it’s no practical
danger.

Best wishes,
Arne
--