[cc-licenses] input requested: BY-SA/GPL compatibility - license scope

Andrew Rens andrewrens at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 16:00:20 EST 2015

There are at least two considerations which suggest that the benefits of
compatibility outweigh the risks.

1.The mandatory patent grant in the GPL helps to prevent strategic
behaviour. Without that requirement a software vendor could licence code
under the GPL and wait until it has been incorporated in many other
programs and then demand patent licence fees. The requirement for a patent
licence prevents that kind of behaviour.
A person licensing non-software under CC By SA cannot make someone else
re-license under the GPL and so cannot engage in a strategy of licensing
under CC By SA in order to extract patent revenue from users of software or
combined works. The incompatibility does not encourage strategic behaviour
to the detriment of licensees of the GPLed work.

2. Strangers to the licensors and licensees can obtain patents that can
prevent use of CC By SA and GPL works, therefore there is always some risk
of a patent claim - no downstream licensee can require complete protection
from patent claims, there is no human or corporation in the world that can
give that protection.

Andrew Rens