[cc-licenses] input requested: BY-SA/GPL compatibility - license scope

Francesco Poli invernomuto at paranoici.org
Mon Feb 23 15:47:50 EST 2015

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 06:15:19 -0600 Sarah Pearson wrote:

[...]
> Does the unlikely but serious risk of patent problems for
> downstream users outweigh the benefits of compatibility?

Personally, I feel that one-way compatibility from CC-by-sa to GNU GPL
is very important and should not be turned down because of this
theoretical issue.

> Can we do enough
> to alleviate this risk with proper education for reusers?

Of course one possible strategy to alleviate the risk is warning users
about the existence of this potential issue.

Having software patents abolished in all jurisdictions is a possible
solution, although I realize it is not easy or close at hand...   ;-)

While waiting for the complete abolition of software patents, I hope
some other expedient is devised to alleviate the risk of being bitten
by patents that apply to CC-by-sa-v4.0-licensed works adapted into
GPLv3-licensed projects.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 fsck is a four letter word...