[cc-licenses] input requested: BY-SA/GPL compatibility - license scope

Arne Babenhauserheide arne_bab at web.de
Mon Feb 23 15:33:59 EST 2015

Am Montag, 23. Februar 2015, 06:15:19 schrieb Sarah Pearson:
> Does the unlikely but serious risk of patent problems for
> downstream users outweigh the benefits of compatibility? Can we do enough
> to alleviate this risk with proper education for reusers?

I think the easiest step would be to explicitly forbid using a CC
by-sa file under GPL, if that would require patent rights which the
reuser cannot grant. You can only use a CC by-sa work under GPL if you
are able to comply with the GPL.

This might still create some walled gardens, but better a walled
garden (which can be opened by granting the patent rights to the
community) than legal uncertainty.

I think that this edge case should be clear enough, since you normally
aren’t allowed to use some work at all when you don’t hold the
required patents.

Best wishes,
Arne