[cc-licenses] CC ShareAlike: Include a requirement for source form of the work?

Cc cc at phizz.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 13:35:24 EST 2015

On 01/02/2015 23:30, Rob Myers wrote:

> On 01/02/15 01:31 AM, Cc wrote:
>>
>> It rejected idiocy which can't be bad. When I take a photo there is
>> 20mb raw file to start with off with. This will normally get
>> converted to a tiff file as the first stage of processing, now we
>> have 40mb of source. Then I'll start using layers and saving in a
>> format that supports them, with three blending layers the TIFF file
>> is at 100Mb. Frequently there will be 5 or six layers used and the
>> file will be in 150 - 200Mb or an average of 6 images per Gb.
>
> And if someone wants to modify the image with the same degree of
> freedom (...same range of options) that's the version they'd need.

Then they can take their own image!

>> A free flickr account with 1Tb of storage wouldn't be sufficient to
>> hold the number of images I have there already. As it is with jpeg
>> uploads flickr tells me that I've used under 0.5% of the allotted
>> space. If a requirement is that one makes available several Tb of
>> data, the most likely response is going to be:
>> http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/284/529/e65.gif
>
> Netflix users download ~2GB/hour to watch a movie.

Many of us would take something like a day or two to download 2Gb of
data, and it would take a week to upload that amount too. In fact the
last time I download some garmin maps it took 36 hours.

>> I recently took 6 minutes of HD video the resulting file is 800Mb
>> and I've not begun to process it yet. A family member works with
>> professional broadcast film and they rarely handle file packages
>> that are less that 100Gb.
>
> How do *they* share them?

I believe they do that via HD and pen drives.

> Remember that the GPL allows you to charge costs to deliver the source
> "on a durable physical medium". So if it would take two dozen hard
> disks to send me the source, that's what I would have to pay for.
>
> A source requirement isn't going to be added, but it's not as
> outlandish for professional/semi-professional production as it might seem.

The locations to store multi Tb of image and video are where? Are
creators obliged to keep a website available? How about their heirs or
executors?