[cc-licenses] CC ShareAlike: Include a requirement for source form of the work?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sun Feb 1 16:39:02 EST 2015

Cc <cc at phizz.demon.co.uk> writes:

> When I take a photo there is 20mb raw file to start with off with.

A good definition of “source form of the work” is “the preferred form of
the work for making modifications to it” (this wording from the GPL).

This is open to discussions of “preferred by whom?”, and even “for
making what modifications?”. But it excludes, I think, the ludicrous
excesses most commonly complained about.

There's no need to pass around an enormous pristine raw data to satisfy
the request for the source form of the work, if that enormous data is
not what would be used anyway.

--
 \      “The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part |
  `\                                        of the face.” —Jack Handey |