[cc-licenses] GPL compatibility: clarification about attribution removal

Sarah Pearson sarah at creativecommons.org
Tue Apr 21 16:14:38 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

As you all know, we're working with the FSF to enable one-way compatibility
from BY-SA 4.0 to the GPLv3. All signs point to this moving forward, and we
are preparing for an announcement in early May.

As we were conducting the final analysis, we discovered that I failed to
point out one relatively significant point during the public discussion.

*When BY-SA content is adapted into GPL projects, downstream users will be
able to look to the conditions of the GPL to satisfy their obligations to
the BY-SA licensor. GPLv3 does not contain a clause that parallels the
attribution removal clause in BY-SA 4.0. *

This point was raised during the compatibility process for the Free Art
License on this mailing list
<http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2014-August/007614.html>,
but we thought it was worth calling it out again in the GPLv3 context.

best,
Sarah