[cc-licenses] input requested: FAL/BY-SA compatibility - attribution

Sarah Pearson sarah at creativecommons.org
Tue Sep 16 21:41:23 EDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Federico Morando <
federico.morando at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, more for theoretical than for practical purposes, I would be very
> interested in knowing the feedback of the FAL stewards to the
> aforementioned question. (In other words, given a CC-BY-SA 4.0 licensed
> derivative work of a FAL original work, is CC-BY-SA the only relevant
> license from the downstream licensee point of view?)

I have received permission to forward an email interpretation we received
from one of the lawyers that is closely involved in stewarding the FAL,
Benjamin Jean, in which he answers your question:

   - *if you modify the work, you have the option to distribute it under
   LAL or any compatible license ;*
   - *if you choose to distribute under this alternative compatible
   license, then only this compatible license (and its obligations) will apply
   (but subsequent users can reciprocally choose to license their
   modifications under the LAL). *

* Thus, in my opinion it would be enough to respect CC formalism. It could
seems risky but the point is that: *

   - *1) this option is only open to people who want to modify and share
   their new version ;*
   - *2) even if other compatible licenses have different terms, they are
   good enough to be trusted (I would say that each license have good & bad
   points, but they are compatible if the sum of these points are considered
   as equal).*