[cc-licenses] closing public discussion period

Sarah Pearson sarah at creativecommons.org
Sat Oct 4 16:08:15 EDT 2014

Since July 22, we have been running a public discussion about compatibility
between BY-SA 4.0 and the Free Art License 1.3 ("FAL"). Thanks very much to
those of you who weighed in on and off list.

This email marks the closing of the public discussion period. We see no
obstacles to compatibility after doing an internal analysis
<https://wiki.creativecommons.org/ShareAlike_compatibility_analysis:_FAL>
of the two licenses, and we have heard virtually no misgivings from the
community. As such, we plan to formally announce compatibility with the
FAL. Right now, we are preparing new FAQs and other explanatory materials
to accompany the announcement. We also have created a wiki page
<https://wiki.creativecommons.org/ShareAlike_compatibility:_FAL> explaining
the key policy decisions made during the process. We plan to make the
official announcement in mid-October.

Thanks again for your input and interest. We are excited to finally bridge
the gap between these two important copyleft licenses.

best,
CC Legal