[cc-licenses] Draft 4 discussion period: license drafts and open issues

Sarah Pearson sarah at creativecommons.org
Wed Sep 18 17:50:43 EDT 2013

I think you are right that it ultimately is a balancing act -- does the
potential for abuse of this requirement outweigh the benefits? After d3, we
were persuaded that the pros of including the requirement won out. One
factor was certainly that authors that host their own content often like to
point people back to that host, but there were others as well. We heard a
significant amount of feedback from people in the open access arena,
emphasizing how important the original source is for provenance and for
business models. Another factor is compatibility with prior versions. Since
there was a significant amount of support for the URI requirement, the fact
that it would make the requirement consistent with 3.0 helped tip the
scales. We're certainly interested in more feedback on either end of the
argument, however.

Another thing to note is that the URI requirement has an extra qualifier --
it is only required if it is "reasonably practicable." It is fairly easy to
imagine situations where it is not reasonably practicable to include the
full chain of specified URIs. This is not a change from 3.0, but I point it
out here to the extent it helps alleviate some of the pain in the massive
collaboration scenarios you raised.

One last thing I wanted to mention is the possibility of re-inserting the
language from 3.0 that required the URI to lead to the copyright notice or
licensing information. We removed that because it seemed redundant to
require someone to retain a copyright notice and licensing information and
then also link back to the source of that information, but it might be one
way of helping to prevent abuse of the requirement. Thoughts welcome.

Sarah