[cc-licenses] Compatibility: no external list, please, explicit conversion clauses instead!

Kat Walsh kat at creativecommons.org
Mon Sep 16 18:05:53 EDT 2013

One short reply inline:

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Francesco Poli
<invernomuto at paranoici.org>wrote:

> I understand that this clause is currently planned for
> CC-by-nc-sa-v4.0 and CC-by-sa-v4.0 ...
>
> As I have previously explained for draft3 [1], I think that this
> mechanism based on an external list of Compatible Licenses should not
> be implemented: the list can change in time, after a given work
> has been licensed and released; this creates uncertainty for potential
> licensors about *which* other licenses will be declared compatible
> *after* they released their works.
>
> [1]
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2013-February/007328.html
>
> I reiterate the recommendation to instead introduce an explicit
> one-way conversion clause that allows redistribution of
> CC-by-sa-v4.0-licensed works under the terms of the GNU GPL
> version 2 or 3 (or, maybe, "version 2 or later" for simplicity's
> sake) and redistribution of CC-by-v4.0-licensed works under the
> terms of the zlib license [2].
>
> [2] http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib_license.html
>
> I really hope this feature may be implemented, as I believe it is
> of paramount importance!

As a small note on this, we are still planning to have a fuller discussion
of compatibility after the publication of 4.0, including discussion of the
criteria for naming a license as compatible with BY-SA. However, we have
continued to be in contact with FSF about potential outward compatibility
with the GPL. We hope to update with more specifics soon, but our current
understanding is that the draft as it stands would not prevent this from
being possible.

-Kat

--
Kat Walsh, Counsel, Creative Commons