[cc-licenses] ETM: please explicitly allow parallel distribution

Francesco Poli invernomuto at paranoici.org
Sun Sep 15 12:42:58 EDT 2013

Hello,
Section 2(a)(5)B of CC-by-nc-sa-v4.0draft4 states:

[...]
>          B. No downstream restrictions. You may not offer or impose
>             any additional or different terms or conditions on, or
>             apply any Effective Technological Measures to, the
>             Licensed Material or Adapted Material that restrict
>             exercise of the Licensed Rights by any such recipient.
[...]

The last part is the infamous anti-DRM (or anti-ETM, if you prefer)
clause, the most controversial part of CC-v3.0 licenses.
I understand that this is planned to be included in all CC-v4.0
licenses.
It seems that the differences between draft3 and draft4 are
not big: once again, I strongly recommend to *explicitly* allow
parallel distribution.

See my previous messages [1][2] about this issue in draft2 and
draft3.

[1] http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2012-August/007108.html
[2] http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2013-February/007364.html

I really hope parallel distribution may be explicitly allowed
in the final text of CC-v4.0 licenses.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!