[cc-licenses] Compatibility: no external list, please, explicit conversion clauses instead!

Francesco Poli invernomuto at paranoici.org
Sun Sep 15 12:39:44 EDT 2013

Hello,
Section 1(c) of CC-by-nc-sa-v4.0draft4 states:

[...]
>  c. BY-NC-SA Compatible License means a license listed at http://
>     creativecommons.org/compatiblelicenses and approved by Creative
>     Commons as essentially the equivalent of this Public License.
[...]

I understand that this clause is currently planned for
CC-by-nc-sa-v4.0 and CC-by-sa-v4.0 ...

As I have previously explained for draft3 [1], I think that this
mechanism based on an external list of Compatible Licenses should not
be implemented: the list can change in time, after a given work
has been licensed and released; this creates uncertainty for potential
licensors about *which* other licenses will be declared compatible
*after* they released their works.

[1] http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2013-February/007328.html

I reiterate the recommendation to instead introduce an explicit
one-way conversion clause that allows redistribution of
CC-by-sa-v4.0-licensed works under the terms of the GNU GPL
version 2 or 3 (or, maybe, "version 2 or later" for simplicity's
sake) and redistribution of CC-by-v4.0-licensed works under the
terms of the zlib license [2].

[2] http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib_license.html

I really hope this feature may be implemented, as I believe it is
of paramount importance!

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!