[cc-licenses] Draft 3 of 4.0: Published for Comment

Diane Peters diane at creativecommons.org
Fri Feb 15 19:34:35 EST 2013

I'm pleased to announce that today we are publishing draft 3 of the 4.0
license suite.  This formally kicks off the third and final public comment
period.

Blog post: http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/36713
Draft 3 discussion page:  http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Draft_3
All six licenses:  http://tinyurl.com/coe2ftr

We have a number of issues queued for discussion.  Starting this coming
Tuesday, we will be posting to this list topics prepared for discussion and
on which we'd especially like your feedback.  The topics are summarized on
the main discussion page <http://tinyurl.com/coe2ftr> and detailed on the
individual wiki pages.  Here are those that we have already prepared and
that will start landing in your inboxes next week:

   - Attribution<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Attribution_and_marking>:
    indicating modifications; link backs
   - ShareAlike
compatibility<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Compatibility>
      - expanding compatibility mechanism to BY-NC-SA
      - mechanism for 1-way compatibility (e.g., to GPLv3 from BY-SA)
      - compatibility criteria and process
   - Licensing of
adaptations<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Treatment_of_adaptations>(BY
and BY-NC)
   - License interpretation<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Internationalization>

(see the Draft 3 treatment boxes on each of those pages for more details.)

For enthusiasts, we encourage you to review the licenses and start
considering those topics now.  Please watch for our posts and share your
thoughts in reply.

We owe all of you a debt of gratitude for your patience.  All of us at CC
are really excited about how the licenses are shaping up, and look forward
to a successful, final discussion period.

Diane