[cc-licenses] Changes to attribution: your attention wanted

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Fri Oct 5 13:16:19 EDT 2012

On Friday 05 October 2012 11:55:28 jonathon wrote:
> On 10/05/2012 01:25 PM, drew Roberts wrote:
> > Surely all copyrighted works do not have titles so do you mean that we
> > must
>
>   include the title where the work has a title?
>
> A title is required, when registering copyright in the United States.
>
> I'll grant that there are genres in which the title of the work is not
> generally known.  (TV Commercials are probably the best known example.)

Emails, forum comments, photographs. Lots of things have no title. I would
wager (and I am not a betting man) that there are more copyrighted works that
are not registered than there are works that are registered. This is a major
pain, but this is where we find ourselves at this time.

So, surely the requirement can only be to require the title where it is
known/exists?